Going Abroad: Preparing to Leave

Are students able to study abroad and get a minor?

Absolutely! Students often gain a minor through their study abroad experience. In particular, many students who study abroad are able to complete both language minors and area studies minors. To explore a complete list of Cornell minors, visit Cornell’s Fields of Study page. 

How do I enroll in my courses abroad?

The Office of Global Learning Education Abroad does not manage enrollment for your courses abroad. Pay close attention to any instructions sent to you by your host institution/program. Some programs will instruct you to pre-enroll before you arrive. Others have an enrollment process once you arrive. 

Does Cornell provide a study abroad orientation?

All students attend a pre-departure orientation before they go abroad. During this pre-departure orientation, you will learn about college policies, how to remain healthy and safe abroad, finance policies and other important information needed before departure. For specific programs and countries, Global Learning will also provide information about the visa process. 

Should I participate in pre-enrollment at Cornell if I have chosen to go abroad?

You do not need to participate in pre-enrollment if you have committed to a study abroad program. If you choose to study abroad during a Cornell semester or year, you will be automatically registered as a student who is currently abroad. 

How do I get a U.S. passport?

In order to travel abroad, you will need to apply for a passport. Passports can be obtained at the U.S. Postal Service (USPS). You can visit their website more information. If you are a first-time applicant, you will need to apply in person. 

back to top