Preparing to Leave

How do I enroll in my courses abroad?

The Office of Global Learning Education Abroad does not manage enrollment for your courses abroad. Pay close attention to any instructions sent to you by your host institution/program. Some programs will instruct you to pre-enroll before you arrive, while other programs may not finalize your enrollment until after you arrive.

Does Cornell provide a study abroad orientation?

All students must complete an online pre-departure orientation before they go abroad. During this pre-departure orientation, you will learn about academic policies, finance policies, how to remain healthy and safe abroad, and other important information needed before departure. For specific programs and countries, Global Learning will also provide information about the visa process. 

Should I participate in pre-enrollment at Cornell if I have chosen to go abroad?

Students who study abroad during a Cornell semester or year will be automatically registered as a student who is currently abroad, and that will remove your pre-enrolled classes. Often colleges prefer that you do not pre-enroll so that you do not take the space from students who will be on campus. However, some colleges do allow or encourage you to pre-enroll. Connect with your college to ensure you understand their pre-enrollment policies.

back to top