While You're Abroad

What do I do in an emergency abroad?

Contact International SOS (ISOS) at 1-215-942-8478 and reference Cornell’s membership number: 11BSCA827281. For more detailed information, visit Global Cornell’s page on Emergencies Abroad

How do I meet people when I'm abroad?

It can be hard to meet people when you are in a new and strange environment. The best advice we can give is to challenge yourself to try something new every day, and engage in local events and activities. If your program offers to arrange a tandem conversation partner, take them up on it. Join a student organization. Teach English at a school. Volunteer at a local community center or event. Find a group that shares your passions and interests.

Where should I direct my transcript?

All study abroad transcripts should be directed to the Office of Global Learning. Once reviewed, it will be sent by our office to your college/school, who will notify you that it has been received and is being processed.

The Office of Global Learning can accept official e-transcripts when sent via a secure means to abroad@cornell.edu. If you are using a transcript service, make sure to enter the abroad@cornell.edu address manually. Transcripts sent to a default email address to Cornell University will not arrive.

Transcript may also be mailed directly to:

Office of Global Learning
Education Abroad
Cornell University
B50 Caldwell Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853-2602

It is your responsibility to determine whether your study abroad transcript will be sent directly to the Office of Global Learning on your behalf by your program, or if you must request it. For seniors studying abroad their final graduating semester, please be aware that transcripts typically cannot be expedited and may take up to 8 weeks (or potentially more) from the end date of the program until Global Learning receives the transcript, not including the time necessary for your college to process it.  Students should be in direct touch with their college/school registrar office if they have questions.

Can I change my classes from what I put on my approval form months ago?

You may experience a conflict of schedule or choose to study something else once you arrive in country. Email your academic advisor or college advisor for approval if it is a change to major or distributional credit. If you fail to notify your advisor of major changes, your credits may not transfer back to Cornell the way you want.  

back to top