Study Abroad is for All Cornell Students

Study abroad can work for you—no matter what your major or college.

Academics in Brief
Foo icon
Your 8-semester plan

Your study abroad program must fit into your eight-semester plan. Begin planning by talking with your faculty advisor and college study abroad advisors.

Foo icon
Getting credit abroad

Depending on the major and college, courses taken abroad can count as major, minor, distributional, or elective credit. Education Abroad staff will walk you through program approval and credit transfer.

Foo icon
Summer credit transfer policies vary

Summer study abroad is eligible for transfer credit. Contact your college study abroad advisors for more information.

Meet with Your College Advisor

In each college, there is a designated advisor who approves plans to study abroad. Your college advisor for study abroad helps you determine how study abroad fits with your major and with college graduation requirements.

For advising on specific programs or signatures on program-based approval forms, see the Education Abroad advisor for your program or region.

College Policies for Semester or Yearlong Study Abroad

Remember, all undergraduates studying abroad for a semester need to:

  • Be in good academic and disciplinary standing.
  • Be able to study abroad and graduate on time.
  • Meet the program's requirements for admission.
  • Study the language of the country while abroad.

Colleges may also have specific requirements for study abroad (GPA, prior study at Cornell, ability to study abroad in your final semester, etc.).

Learn more about your college’s policies and procedures:

  • AAP: 3.0 GPA.
  • A&S: 3.0 GPA. Note language requirement.
  • CALS: 2.75 GPA. CALS offers "Study Abroad 101" sessions.
  • CHE 3.0 GPA at time of application and program start.
  • Dyson: 2.75 GPA.
  • ENG: Must meet program’s required GPA. See Engineering Study Abroad video and major-specific planning guides.
  • Hotel: 3.0 GPA.
  • ILR: 3.0 GPA.
  • Graduate Students: Ph.D. students work with their committee chairs, and master's students work with their programs to learn about international study options, policies, and credit transfer.
College Policies for Short-term (Summer or Winter) Study Abroad

The Office of Global Learning offers short-term international programs during the winter and summer sessions. These faculty-led programs offer Cornell courses with Cornell grades.

For non-Cornell programs during the summer or winter, follow your college's procedures for domestic transfer of credit. Remember the following information before deciding to participate in a program:

  • There are no specific college prerequisites or requirements.
  • Your transcript must come from an accredited U.S. or foreign university.
  • Cornell language programs will not accept credit for language classes taken abroad at the elementary or intermediate levels, but you can take a placement test to see if you can place into a higher level. Colleges other than A&S may award elective or distributional credit for language classes taken abroad.

Regular Cornell financial aid is not available for the summer, although limited scholarships are available through Cornell and outside sources.

back to top