Skip to main content

International Exchange

Studying on Exchange at Cornell

The Office of Global Learning (OGL) partners with universities worldwide and coordinates with Cornell’s undergraduate colleges and schools to offer incoming exchange student opportunities across academic disciplines and programs.

To apply for exchange, you must be currently enrolled at an institution covered by a reciprocal exchange agreement with Cornell. If your university does not have an exchange agreement with Cornell, explore coming to campus on the Visiting International Student Program or joining us for one of our short-term programs in another country.

Get Started

Students commuting across Cornell campus in front of McGraw tower

Your journey as an exchange student starts with your home institution selecting and nominating you to study at Cornell. Eligible students then complete an online application. Our office reviews exchange applications and issues acceptances, including required immigration status materials and arrival information.

If you come to Cornell on exchange, we will advise you before, during, and after your program. We look forward to welcoming you to campus!

Questions? Email our incoming exchange advisor.


You must be nominated by your home institution in order to apply for exchange. You're eligible to apply if you also meet these criteria:

  • You've completed at least two full-time semesters of university study.
  • Your record shows solid academic preparation in general and in your proposed areas of study.
  • You have the equivalent of a United States grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
  • You have a TOEFL iBT score of 100, Duolingo score of 120, or IELTS score of 7.5. Learn more about English language proficiency requirements.


Cornell tuition is waived for accepted exchange students, but other fees and expenses apply. Cornell financial aid is not available. Explore Cost to Attend to learn about estimated costs, including fees, room and board, and personal expenses.


Exchange students are responsible for securing their own accommodations on or near campus. Get started by exploring Housing and Residential Life at Cornell. Consider applying for on-campus housing. Living off-campus is another option.

Cornell Academics 

Explore these links to learn more about the colleges and schools participating in undergraduate exchange.

Students attend lecture in the Alice Statler Auditorium

ILR College Exchanges

In addition to participating in university-wide exchanges, ILR directly administers college-level exchange programs. Please contact ILR if your home institution’s partnership is with the college.

SC Johnson College of Business

Only students in business degree programs at their home institutions can apply to join the undergraduate schools in the SC Johnson College of Business (Nolan Hotel School and Dyson School).

Course Enrollment Restrictions

Cornell cannot guarantee enrollment in any college or course. Enrollment permission is subject to college/school restrictions, demonstrated academic qualifications in the form of prerequisite, class size limitations, and the consent of instructors.

  • Courses that are only open to degree-seeking majors, including core or senior capstone courses and first-year writing seminars, are not available to exchange students.
  • Exchange students may not enroll in computing and information science courses and studio-based programs in architecture, art, and design unless specifically approved under the agreement between your home institution and Cornell.

Can I study on undergraduate exchange as a graduate student?

No. Graduate degree programs and professional colleges and schools (College of Veterinary Medicine, SC Johnson College of Business, Cornell Law School, Cornell Tech, and Weill Cornell Medicine) are not included in Cornell's undergraduate exchange agreements.

Many graduate students come to Cornell to study or conduct research as visitors. Explore coming to campus as a visiting student.
Students posing during campus scavenger hunt

Your Application

After your home institution nominates you, OGL will send you an email with instructions for accessing and completing the online application. Email us if you have additional questions about your application.

Gather Your Documents

You'll need to submit the following documents as part of your online application:

If your application is accepted, we'll ask you for these supporting materials:

  • Scanned copy of your passport
  • Declaration of finances (required form with bank letter or statement attached)

Student Visa

Unless you are a U.S. citizen, you must have a student visa to enter the United States for your Cornell studies. After you're accepted as an exchange student, OGL will provide information on applying for a student visa. The undergraduate admissions office will prepare your I-20.

Arrival Resources


Email Us