Learn. Engage. Go places.
Your time abroad will be one of your most formative Cornell experiences. It is high-impact and immersive learning.
You will transform from someone with perhaps only a basic understanding of the complexities of a place or a subject into an informed global citizen, open to rich, diverse, complex cultures.
With different program options, including Cornell Global Programs and college exchanges, you have the opportunity to take unique courses, gain hands-on experience, and lock in your language learning in an immersive environment. Using academic skills and learning within a different context also pushes you and allows for a deeper understanding of courses you've completed at Cornell.
Advance Your Career
Your time abroad will distinguish you professionally. It will change how you view the world. The impact will go far beyond the time you spend in another country.
As a student at one of the world’s top universities, you have the potential for success in whatever you want to pursue. Encounters in and outside of the classroom allow you to build important life skills—critical thinking, problem solving, flexibility—that will remain with you long after your college career.
Living in London for my year abroad gave me exposure to European culture. This greatly helped in my first job after graduation, where I worked in the international department of a Wall Street firm.
It Will Fit Your Plans
Your time abroad will fit seamlessly into your time at Cornell. Nearly every major can study abroad during the academic year. With planning, you can easily integrate an international experience into your time at Cornell. And your financial aid applies to semester and year-long programs.
For semester and yearlong programs:
- If you receive financial aid, your estimated family contribution will not change when you go abroad.
- Your semester or year abroad will fit within your eight-semester path to graduation.
- Credits earned abroad will transfer back as either major, minor, distribution, or elective credits.
We’re Here to Help
You will have support every step of the way. Cornell’s network of advisors and resources is here to support every student who wants to study abroad:
- Within your college or school, you have specialized staff who will help you plan how study abroad fits into your eight-semester graduation plan.
- Our Education Abroad advisors will help you identify programs that are best for you.